Sunday, January 17, 2010

Havanese Grooming Tips

This is a video put on by Pure Paws. One of my fave shampoo lines next to Isle of Dogs.

I do not agree with everything he does especially on a show dog one shouldn't snip around the eyes but watch and gain some idea how to get that wonderful coat.

Yes, I wash twice too. I do not trim around the eyes as it can create more issues with leakage and I don't like the look.

I also like having the dogs looking more smooth for the finishing nor will I tease the hair but instead will use All Systems invisible hold instead in a way not to give it hat hair.

I also won't hair spray - as Havanese are supposed to feel natural and that hairspray, although I own it and tried to use it - well it doesn't feel natural in the least. Teasing also breaks the hair and head and tail hair seems to grow SLOWLY. Still this gives you an idea of the rest and I do all the steps too but I use a bathing beauty to evenly distribute the shampoo and conditioner. I also have a few other tricks that work for me.



If you are interested in a book that will help you explore grooming further, check out Nose to Tail. It's an excellent book but use the info to glean ideas and make them your own. You will eventually figure out what works for you, hopefully not after making all the mistakes I did. :-) When I started out, no one was willing to help me learn so it was trial and error and boy what a learning curve that was. Plus no book existed to offer you grooming tips for the Havanese.

If you have any questions, just ask.

No comments: